Frederick County Parks and Recreation is continually updating cancellations and closings. Please understand that these decisions are evolving as new information and/or directives come through State of MD, FCG, and FCPS.
Click here for the most up to date information
The tenant houses are historic homes on the Fountain Rock Park property. The names of the tenant houses reflect previous owners.
The Luby House
The Luby House is currently used as the park office and training space. The house has been moved 3 times during its life. At 1 time it was the scale house at the front of the lane where farmers would weigh their gravel upon exiting the property. The 1930 U.S. Census indicated that there were 7 dwelling houses on this property that were occupied by Lime Company employees.
The Kaufman House
The Kaufman House is currently used as a space for programs, trainings, and birthday parties. There is little historic documentation available on the Kaufman House and the exact date of construction is unknown. Census reviews of the early 20th century have yielded little information; however, it is presumed that Adam Diehl, Jr. lived here around 1873.
The Kaufman House was constructed on a raised stone foundation comprised of local limestone. The 2 story dwelling is covered with wood German wood siding. Evidence suggests that the hand hewn logs used to construct the building were originally part of an earlier structure. Original tenons and notching can be seen on the walls from the interior (Sager 2005).
The National Park Service, working in cooperation with Frederick County Parks, renovated the log cabin in the summer of 2006 with completion in 2007. Included in this renovation was a new roof, new flooring on the first floor and new windows. The crew meticulously used historical records in order to preserve the authenticity of the structure.
The Handley House
Named for the Handley family who resided there from 1936 to 1950, the Handley House is located across from the Kaufman House. This dwelling was built between 1900 and 1910, most likely in 1907, when Leonard E. Barrick sold the quarry and kiln property to Fountain Rock Lime Company for $20,000.